October 10, 2019 3:25:12 AM
England have called a press conference with Eddie Jones for 5am BST in which they are expected to announce they are leaving Tokyo for an area unaffected by Hagibis.
Jones is expected to say they are leaving on the understanding the match against France had been cancelled.
World Cup tournament director Alan Gilpin confirmed at World Rugby’s press conference that the France clash has been cancelled, along with New Zealand’s match against Italy.
Sunday’s games – including Scotland v Japan – remain under review.
Gilpin said: “After extensive evaluation of the weather information, we are confirming adjustments to the match schedule.
“This includes the decision to cancel matches on safety grounds. Hagibis is predicted to be the biggest typhoon of 2019.”
Gilpin stated that each team involved in a cancelled gamed will receive two points.
He said World Rugby had no regrets staging the tournament in Japan during typhoon season.
“We always knew there would be risks but it’s rare for there to be a typhoon of this size at this stage of the year. We have no regrets,” he said.
Gilpin said the integrity of the World Cup had not been compromised.
“We don’t believe so. There tournament rules are not new. We’ve never had to implement them before,” he said.