November 4, 2019 12:51:13 PM
More funding for councils in England to crack down on criminal landlords is being made available, the Housing Secretary has announced.
Robert Jenrick said councils will be able to bid for a slice of nearly £4 million in funding to step up action against landlords who break the law and provide inadequate services to tenants.
The Government said that while most landlords provide quality homes for their tenants, a small minority continue to break the law and offer inadequate or unsafe housing, leaving tenants feeling trapped.
Potential measures that can be taken against criminal landlords include fines and banning orders.
The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) said the funding is coming from its existing budget.
This is the second year of the fund, with more than £2 million of funding shared among 56 projects last year.
These funds reached 100 councils which together are home to over a million households living in the private rented sector.
The Government said that last year, Burnley in Lancashire received over £60,000 to carry out proactive inspections of rented homes in the area.
The council found and fixed over 100 hazards across the properties inspected.